|Center for Asian Studies (CAS)|
Department of Political Science
University of Chittagong
|Brief Statement about the Center for Asian Studies (CAS):|
|The Center for Asian Studies (CAS) in the Department of Political Science has begun its humble journey in April 2014 upon a decision of the Syndicate of the University of Chittagong in its 492nd Meeting held on April 24, 2014. Before that the proposal for the establishment of the Center for Asian Studies (CAS) was approved by the Academic Committee of the Department of Political Science in its 257th General Meeting on the 07th of October 2013. The first Faculty meeting of the Faculty of Social Sciences in 2014 held on the 22nd of February 2014 approved the proposal to set up the Center For Asian Studies (CAS). The 227th Meeting of the Academic Council of the University of Chittagong held on the 20th of April 2014 also approved the proposal to establish the Center for Asian Studies (CAS) in the Department of Political Science. We are grateful to the honorable colleagues of the Department of Political Science, and the Faculty of Social Sciences, and the distinguished members of the Academic Council and Syndicate of the University of Chittagong. We would also like to thank Professor Dr. ANM Munir Ahmed, the then Chairman of the Department of Political Science. Professor Dr. Abul Hossian, Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences, and the then Pro-Vice Chancellor (and the current Vice Chancellor) Professor Dr. Iffekher Uddin Chowdhury and the then Vice Chancellor Professor Anwarul Azim Arif of the Chittagong University for their help in the establishment of the Center for Asian Studies (CAS).|
|Purpose of Center for Asian Studies (CAS)|
|The purpose of establishing the Center for Asian Studies (CAS) was to carry on the research activities on various aspects of Asian Affairs and Political Science that were begun as part of the Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) sub-project (CP-133), titled, Improving the Capabilities of Research on Asian Studies and Political Science in the Department of Political Science, University of Chittagong.|
|Activities of the Center Since April 2014|
|The Center is in its formative stage and funds are scarce. Despite the fact that the Department of Political Science in the 268th General meeting of its Academic Committee on 26 June 2014 and the 274th General meeting of its Academic Committee on the 16th of November has given kind permission to use the meager assets procured for the HEQEP, CP-133 and the proceeds of sale of books published by the HEQEP, CP-133, for the Center, the Center still lacks fund and source of regular funding at this stage. Even with limited recourses, the Center has carried out several activities and has made some headway in achieving some of its goals and objectives.|
|These activities are listed below:|
- The Center organized a Seminar on 'China's New Leadership: Prospects and Challenges' in the University of Chittagong on the 24th of March 2014 when the Center was at its proposal stage. It hosted Professor Joseph Chang of the City University of Hong Kong, and the then Director General, Major General Shafiuddin Ahmed, of the Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS), the premier government think tank and Research Institute on foreign policy and security and strategic issues. Both professor Chang and General Shafiuddin presented papers in the Seminar on 'China's New Leadership: Prospects and Challenges'. A Huge number of students, colleagues and experts from various Departments of Social Science, Arts and Humanities, Law and other Faculties attended the Seminar. The then honorable Vice-Chancellor Professor Anwarul Azim Arif inaugurated the program as the Chief Guest and the then honorable pro-Vice Chancellor and present Vice Chancellor professor Dr. Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury spoke on that occasion as Special Guest.
- The Center hosted Dr. Irasema Coronado, Professor of Political Science of the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP), USA. At that time, she was serving as the Executive Director of the Environmental Cooperation Council of the United States, Mexico and Canada. She presented a paper on 'US-Mexico Border Relations in the Age of Globalization', in a Seminar organized by the Center on the 23rd of February 2015. The then honorable Vice-Chancellor Professor Anwarul Azim Arif inaugurated the Seminar as the chief guest and the then honorable Pro-Vice Chancellor and present Vice Chancellor Professor Dr. Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury spoke on that occasion as Special Guest.
- An Exchange of Views Program on the 'Prospect of Fulbright Scholarship Program' was organized by the Center. Ms. Shaheen Khan, the Public Affairs Officer in the American Center of the US Embassy in Dhaka in charge of Fulbright Scholarship Program, met the teachers of almost all faculties and shared her views about the Fulbright Scholarship Program. It was organized by the Center on May 10, 2014.
- Very recently, the Center hosted a six-member team of Chinese scholars from the Research Institute of Indian Ocean Economies (RIIO) of the Yunnan University of Finance and Economics (YUFE) for two days during 12-13 June 2015. The Director of the RIIO, Professor Dr. Cuiping Zhu, led the team and presented a paper on 'China's Initiative of One Belt One Road and the Opportunities for Cooperation Between China and Bangladesh' in a seminar organized by the Center (CAS) on June 13, 2015. The Seminar saw the participation of a large number of students and teachers from diverse disciplines.
- In August 2016, the Center hosted Dr. Smruti Pattanaik, an Indian researcher working as a Research Fellow at the influential Institute of Defense Studies and Analysis (IDSA), New Delhi for a week. She other than her research activities in Chittagong met the Vice-Chancellor of the University and several other scholars. She also presented a paper as 'India's Neighborhood Policy'. It was a lively Seminar attended by a large number of teachers and students, Honorable Vice chancellor also graced the Seminar by spending good amount of time and participating in the lively discussion in the Seminar.
- In addition to its Executive Committee, and Board of Advisors, it has also included a provision of Working Committee comprising some mid-career colleagues of in the Department of Political Science, University of Chittagong.
- The Center is about to publish a journal, titled, Journal of Asian Politics and Society.
- It also is going to solicit proposal very soon for two Research Stipends for higher level Students.
|Plan for Future Activities|
|In addition to hosting scholars from home and abroad, the Center plans to publish Books, Journals, Monographs, Newsletters, etc.. It also plans to offer Research Grants to senior students, Young Researchers, and Junior Colleagues on various issues of Asian Affairs and Political Science upon the availability of adequate fund. The Center intends to gradually expand its activities in future.|
|Read Details of The Center for Asian Studies|
|Room No. 222|
Dr. Yunus Bhavan (Social Science Building)
University of Chittagong
|Telephone +880-312606001-10; +880-31-726311-14, Ext. 4280 (Office)|
|Click here to view The Center for Asian Studies website|
|Director of CAS:|